PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION NOTICE
We at BENJAMIN DAWSON view and treat the maintenance and processing of your personal information with utmost importance. As required under the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (“the Act”), this notice is to inform you how we collect and process your personal data when you appoint us to provide services, and when you access and use our website or when you communicate with us whether verbally or in writing, by means of documentation or telecommunication or other available means.
By giving us your personal data, you are deemed to have given us your consent for us to collect, process, use and disclose your personal data in accordance with the terms of the Act.
What Personal Data do we collect?
Such data may include information concerning your personal details (such as name, age, gender, identity card number, passport number, date of birth, education, race, ethnic original, nationality), contact details (such as address, email, phone numbers), family information (such as marital status, name of spouse or child or immediate family), occupation details (such as employer’s name, job title, job responsibilities, employer’s contact details and address) and any personal data derived from any legal documentation (hereinafter referred to collectively as “Personal Data”).
Source of Personal Data
Other than the Personal Data collected from you, we may also verify or source your Personal Data from third party sources including but not limited to credit reporting agencies, government departments or agencies such as Companies Commission and Insolvency Department.
Why we collect and process your Personal Data?
Your Personal Data is collected and processed by us for the following purposes:
- to provide legal services to you;
- to verify your identities;
- for the purpose of enforcing and preserving our legal rights and/or obtaining legal advice;
- for security and internal audit purposes;
- meeting the requirements to make disclosure under the requirements of any law binding on us or under and for the purposes of any guidelines issued by regulatory or other authorities with which we are expected and/or required to comply; and
- any and/or all purposes relating thereto.
Disclosure of your Personal Data
Your Personal Data held by us will be kept confidential but we may provide such information to the following parties for the purposes set out above:
- any persons directed or consented to by you;
- our professional advisors including but not limited to auditors, legal advisors, insurance brokers, financial advisors;
- our agents, servants, contractors, or third party service providers who provides administrative, telecommunications, computer or other services to us in connection with the operation of our business;
- our employees under a duty of confidentiality to us; and
- any person to whom we are under an obligation to make disclosure under the requirements of any law binding on us or under and for the purposes of any guidelines issued by regulatory or other authorities with which we are expected and/or required to comply.
We may also disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in good faith, if such action is necessary to (i) comply with requirements of any law enforcement agency, court order or legal process; or (ii) protect and defend our rights or property and its personnel.
Consequence of refusal or failure to provide your Personal Data
The refusal or failure to supply such Personal Data may result in us being unable to render or provide our legal services to you.
Rights of access and correction
You may at any time after the submission of your Personal Data to us, submit your request for access to your Personal Data with us if:
- you require access to make corrections to your Personal Data in our records in the event the information is inaccurate, misleading, out-of-date or incomplete;
- you require access to verify your Personal Data with us;
- you request that your Personal Data shall only be kept for the fulfilment of the purpose of the collection of such information.
You may make all such request to access through:
Personal Data Compliance Officer
Messrs Benjamin Dawson
C-11-5 Megan Avenue II
12 Jalan Yap Kwan Seng
50450 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2710 1822
Fax: 03-2710 1811/1833
An administrative fee may be charged for the processing of any data access request.
We reserve the right to refuse any such request in the following circumstances:
- where the information provided by you or any party making a request is insufficient to enable us to positively locate or identify the Personal Data in question;
- where there is reasonable doubt surrounding your identity or the identity or the person making a request;
- where permitting access or correction would tantamount to a violation of a court order or our duty of confidentiality towards our client.
Your Personal Data will be kept and processed in a secured manner. The appropriate administrative and security safeguards, policies and procedures will be implemented in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. We will as far as practicable aim to prevent the unauthorised and/or unlawful processing of your Personal Data.
This notice is issued in both the National and English languages. In the event of any conflict, the English language version shall prevail.